Tag: vRealize

While deploying vRealize (formerly, vCenter) Infrastructure Navigator (VIN) yesterday, I ran into an access error that wasn’t at all pleasant.

Access failed. An unknown VM access error has occurred.

I had deployed the virtual appliance per the 5.8.4 documentation on pubs.vmware.com, and had specifically created a Virtual Machine Access role as defined. I set it in Global Permissions for all children and verified that it propagated to the VMs that reported this error (all of them).

Searching VMware KBs and Google for a resolution proved mostly fruitless. I finally came across Scott Norris’s post about resetting the VIN database, which gave me the nugget to resolve my issue. As I look at it now, I’m not quite sure why his pointed me to the answer, but it was the only one out there with exactly the same error–all others were about “discovery errors”. If what I provide below doesn’t solve your issue, check out Scott’s “reboot” option for a more comprehensive refresh.

So what was the problem/answer? DNS.

When I deployed the OVA and reached the field for comma-separated DNS servers, I listed mine–all four of them–like this: 192.168.1.11,192.168.1.12,10.1.1.11,10.1.1.12. I’m quickly learning that four is not a friendly quantity in OVAs or Linux things in general. In the vein of The Matrix, those who write into /etc/hosts seem to like Trinity, or three, as a max. Send it four resulted in none committing.

Fixing it came through these steps:

1. Open the console to the VIN virtual appliance

2. Hit Enter on “Login” to reach the CLI/login prompt

3. Login as “root”

4. Run “yast”

5. Arrow down to “Network Devices”, tab over to “Network Settings” (on the right), and hit Enter

vin_yast_1

Technology Virtualization