I hope each of you enjoyed the Labor Day weekend and is refreshed as life continues into another week. Here are some words from the Word for the week ahead and at the bottom, and a blurb about Launch 2009 and five takeaways from Denny Henderson’s messages at Launch.
“Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With a long life I will satisfy him and let him see My salvation.” (Psalm 91:14-16)
“Let no one look down on your youthfulness, but rather in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity, show yourself an example of those who believe.” (1 Timothy 4:12; neither age nor experience preclude the ability to speak the Truth into people’s lives)
“And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28) — Just about everyone knows this verse, but we rarely look deeply at the words: “all things” includes being hungry and filled, having abundance and need (Philippians 4:12), being afflicted, perplexed, persecuted (2 Cor. 4:8,9), as well as the comfort, joy, peace, and fellowship we think of first.
“Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ also loved you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.” (Eph. 5:1-2)
Launch Retreat was spectacular in so many ways! For those that couldn’t make it, I hope you can next year. If you’re one who feels that retreats just really aren’t your thing (I’ve been that guy in the past) and think, “seriously? it’s a lot of hype and all about a fleeting experience…” I’d reply as one who’s been on both sides, “Seriously. It’s an amazing opportunity to go off-grid, off-line, and run alongside 400 of your already or soon-to-be friends for a few days not unlike what I imagine heaven will be — worship with hearts uplifted, hearing from the Word and magnifying our God, and soaking up the awesome gift of community that we have by grace through the Cross.” Alright, enough soap-boxing, here’s Denny…
* Realize the desperate situation we’re in w/o Christ — if you don’t believe you need a savior, you don’t have one. (Eph. 2:1-3)
* Embrace the divine solution, Jesus Christ — if you know your need and have turned to Christ, hold on to the richness of His mercy, even when you fail. (“But God…” Eph. 2:4-5)
* Get “on mission” with God — don’t just /go/ to church; BE the church — “spill” Jesus on people because He’s overflowing in your life. (Acts 1:8; 2; 3)
* If I follow Christ, He will make me a fisher of men (Matt. 4:19) — Hospitality is the key — people need to see your good works and HEAR the gospel (Matt. 5:14-16) — if you never open your mouth, you are failing…
* Live for significance — leave “margin” in your life for relationships, and don’t be overexposed to responsibilities, people, entertainment, and technology — quantity does not equal quality